Lucas Says:

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Battlestar Galactica Miniseries

Last night Nathan and I watched the Battlestar Galactica miniseries in its entirety. I had been interested in watching it ever since I'd heard that it was (A) good and (B) involved Ronald Moore, who was very involved with DS9. Here are my thoughts on those two points.

First, let's address (A). Yes, I enjoyed it a lot. I believe it helps that I never watched the original, which I've heard is mediocre. So, by it being different from the original, it avoids the same mediocrity. And since I never saw the original, I avoid being an uber-dork who is mad that they strayed from the original formula.

(B). There are definite overtones of DS9 to it. Primarily in the characters, which was really DS9's strength. Edward James Olmos, who plays the captain on the new series, seems to give off strong Sisko vibes. There's one guy, whose name I'm not looking up, for whom they really should have just gone ahead and gotten Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) for the role. In any event, they've got an interesting bunch of people in what promises to be an interesting situation, so I look forward to the series' appearance on DVD so Nathan and I can rent that too.

All of this begs the question (to me at least): Why can't they do cool stuff like this for the Star Trek universe. They already had Moore, but let go of him and kept Braga. As I would notice DS9 similarities in the characters, I kept thinking about how cool it would be in the Star Trek universe with Star Trek characters. I mean, it'd be no the Next Generation, but so little else is. This could have at least been something engaging in the Trek universe, which I thirst for,

Oh well. Next week Nathan's got Babylon 5 season 1 disc one queued up for rental, so I hope to get a glimpse of what I missed.

And! I can sort of play the bridge from They'll Need a Crane on the guitar, and I am excited about that.

And the choir is on tour now, so I am jealous excited about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home