Lucas Says:

Friday, February 18, 2005

Fun in Snow



I made this at my parents house a few weekends ago, but didn't get it off my Dad's camera right away, didn't get it uploaded, etc. It's just a little taller than I am and took several hours to build. Those snow boulders are quite large and end up weighing a lot. It was fun though - good exercise, and satisfied a need to build with snow.

Practicing some post-consolidation here, I will now begin to talk about linux. I am delaying the "share files with windows" objective, as it is becoming more clear to me that just copying solutions off the internet doesn't really teach me a lot except for how to solve that one problem. Well, that's an exaggeration, but it feels like truth.

Now I'm reading a text book called Just Enough Unix which Nathan used for one of his classes and is lending to me. One of the interesting facts that I've picked up is that Unix, a very powerful and popular operating system, is in fact a pun on the word 'eunuchs'. I mean, I noticed that right away with a title like "Just Enough Unix", but then it turns out that it really was just some programmer's idea of a funny joke.

Dirty jokes aside, it feels like I'm learning how to use stone tools in order to build a jet fighter. But the book moves at a pretty fast clip, and does make a point of showing how the simple commands it teaches will one day do powerful things... once I actually know what to do with them. And then I get to move on to the book Chris recommened, which has a much more imposing title that I don't remember right now. So this is a good speed for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home