Lucas Says:

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Linux Installation Update 3

Well, the Linux project stalled a bit last week while I was preparing my legos for the brikwar, but now that I'm at my parent's house for the weekend, I've gone hog-wild, and decided to install linux on my laptop. This, despite warnings from the manual that installing any operating system on a laptop is a risky business due to non-standardized system structurement.

Despite that, sucess. There are flaws, yes. It will not boot with the PCMCIA CD Drive plugged in - but it will recognize it later. And the X-Window graphic interface will not recognize the touchpad and will not start until I plugged in a usb mouse. Flaws aside, I had a relatively easy install experience, and now have more of an opportunity to immerse myself in linux.

I recently decided that immersion is the way to do it. Like learning a language, reading the manual will only get me so far. I won't stop reading, but in addition I will attempt to learn to do all of my normal internet activities in Linux without resorting to my Windows box.

But seriously, "X Window"? Please, Linux community, at least come up with a name that doesn't have 'window' in it. Seriously.



Also, with regards to the choir - I'm with you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Good luck, Luke. I like the new blog layout as well. :)

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home